When enrolling your dependents for benefit coverage, you MUST submit documentation of eligibility for each dependent. If the necessary documentation is not provided to verify eligibility for coverage for each dependent, any dependent not verified will not be enrolled in your benefit plans.
Individuals must be paid on CU Medicine's monthly pay cycle and be appointed to a regular 50 percent or greater benefits-eligible position in order to be eligible for CU Medicine's group benefits plans. Eligibility date is the first of the month following your start date. In the event you start on the first of the month, your eligibility date will be the same as your start date.
Eligible Dependents for Benefits
As an eligible employee, you can add the following dependents to your plans:
- Spouse, Common-Law Spouse, Civil Union Partner, Domestic Partner
- Dependent children up to age 27
- Qualifying disabled children over age 27
Download your Dependent Eligibility Form.
Individuals Who Are Not Eligible for Benefits
Individuals who are NOT eligible for benefits include, but are not limited to, the employee's or spouse's:
- parents, grandparents, great-grandparents
- siblings, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, cousins
- grandchildren, great-grandchildren
- renters, boarders, tenants, employees
- any other individuals not listed in the eligible dependents definitions
Center for Medicare & Medicaid Social Security Number Mandate
Additionally, the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services now requires CU Medicine to have a Social Security Number on file for all medical and / or dental participants. You must provide this information in order for your dependents to be covered. If you are enrolling a newborn child, contact Human Resources to discuss how to do so timely and also provide this necessary information to our office.
- Your benefits plan elections are in effect throughout the plan year (July 1 - June 30).
- The effective date of most changes to medical/dental will be the first of the month following your life event.
- The effective date of changes to other benefits depends on the benefits elected and when HR receives the Benefits Enrollment/Change Form.
Return to Employee Benefits page.