Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Training
We offer wheelchair seating and mobility assessment and training to assist patients with a variety of complex and individualized needs.
Our services include:
- Evaluating, recommending and fitting - positioning and mobility devices such as manual and power wheelchairs, power scooters, positioning chairs, adaptive strollers, and standers for children and adults with a variety of disabilities.
- For individuals unable to walk, we assess sitting posture, comfort, seated function, and ability to propel/operate a manual/powered wheelchair.
- If a person is able to walk, we assess their gait and ambulation skills, and consider the need for safe functional mobility in all environments.
- For individuals with complex postural needs, we use an adjustable seating simulator to help determine the technology features needed to support their body in a comfortable, aligned and functional position in their wheelchair.
- For individuals with complex mobility needs who are unable to use a standard joystick, we use a power wheelchair simulator to determine a method of alternative drive control (such as use of sip n puff devices or switches embedded in a headrest) to enable the person to operate a power wheelchair.