Our team is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced group of providers in the region—and among the best in the country. The primary concussion team includes board-certified pediatric experts in emergency medicine, sports medicine, neurosurgery, rehabilitation, and neuropsychology. They are joined by certified athletic trainers and occupational and physical therapists with special training in treating concussions.
This multidisciplinary team offers a unique, streamlined, and comprehensive approach that tailors treatment to each individual patient’s needs. Our concussion program provides high-quality clinical care and delivers scientifically accurate and up-to-date information about pediatric concussions.
Our team members are engaged in numerous research projects focused on understanding brain injury and how best to help children and teens recover and safely return to academics and athletics. Their work has been published in multiple medical and neuropsychological books and journals. Unmatched in the Rocky Mountain region, we are also the only program in the metro Denver area with a team of board-certified pediatric neuropsychologists to evaluate and treat some of the complex post-concussion problems.
The Concussion Program can evaluate and assist with the symptoms of a concussion as well as develop treatment plans to support recovery, address school concerns, and address return to sports.
- On-field evaluations by certified athletic trainers and team physicians
- Triage in our Emergency Department
- Advanced neuroimaging techniques to rule out medical emergencies
- Next day appointments with a sports medicine physician
- Medical examination and rehabilitation care to evaluate and treat common post-concussive symptoms
- Neuropsychological evaluation to assess cognitive skills that can be affected by a concussion
- Treatment plans to support recovery, address school problems, manage changes in behavior or adjustment, and safely return athletes to their sports
- Coordination of care with primary health care providers, athletic staff, educators and other relevant personnel
- Referrals as needed to specialists in physical/occupational therapy, education, behavioral health and related medical disciplines